Opt Out Today

Oklahoma Education Association

How Educators in Oklahoma Can Opt Out of NEA-OEA Dues

Do the tactics of the Oklahoma Education Association (OEA) make you uncomfortable as a member of this association? Do you seek to be perceived as a professional rather than a line worker? Did you join with some reservations which are being confirmed by the walk out? Do you wonder about the causes and ideology supported by your union dues?

Membership in OEA and the National Education Association (NEA) is optional for Oklahoma educators.

  • We will not contact you unless you choose to receive updates from us

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I resign from NEA-OEA?

Completing the form above will generate a letter you can send to OEA to resign your formal union membership and cease paying dues.

Send a signed copy of your letter to:

Oklahoma Education Association
P.O. Box 18485
Oklahoma City, OK 73154

It is recommended that you send the letter via certified mail so you have proof of delivery.

It may be necessary to take steps to end your deduction with your bank or credit card if you are paying using those methods.

How much are Oklahoma Education Association Dues?

Membership in OEA and NEA in 2017-18 is $466 for a certified, full-time educator.

$189 of this is sent to Washington, D.C. for the National Education Association, and $277 is for the Oklahoma Education Association’s use. NEA membership is “unified,” meaning one is not allowed to be a member of just the OEA without also joining and funding the NEA.

How does Oklahoma Education Association spend dues money?

Because these organizations have limited workplace responsibilities, their funds are commonly spent on politics and ideological causes.

Public employee unions are private organizations with minimal obligations to disclose financial information to members.

As a nonprofit, the IRS requires the OEA to annually file a form 990 tax return. These are public documents and can be found online at sites like the Foundation Center.

How does the National Education Association spend dues money?

The IRS requires unions to annually file a form 990 tax return. These are public documents and can be found online at sites like the Foundation Center.

A few public sector unions are required to file an LM-2 report with the U.S. Department of Labor. They can be viewed at the U.S. DOL union search page.

If I opt out, will I still have legal liability protection?

It is the school district’s responsibility to shield district employees from legal liability, not the union’s. Contact the district business office if you want to learn how your primary liability protection is provided.

The NEA maintains a low-cost legal liability policy for NEA’s legal bills incurred on behalf of members that supplements the protection already provided by your employer. Nonmembers are not covered by the NEA liability policy.

If you feel more protection is necessary, similar liability insurance can be obtained through other independent professional education associations like the Professional Oklahoma Educators(POE), Christian Educators Association International, a homeowner’s policy, or from an insurance provider.