Opt Out Today


To opt out of OEA dues:

  1. Enter your information into the form below and click “submit.”
  2. On the next page, click the link to open your customized form. You will also receive an email with a link to your form.
  3. Print the form. If you check the appropriate box below, we’ll mail you a copy of the form.
  4. Sign and date the form.
  5. Mail the completed form to the OEA at the address at the top of the form. We highly recommend sending it via certified mail.

BEFORE YOU PROCEED – Please ensure you are a member of the OEA (Oregon Education Association) as its name/acronym is similar to OSEA (Oregon School Employees Association) 

  • e.g. Portland School District, Oregon State University, etc.
  • Hidden
  • Hidden

The Oregon Education Association (OEA) represents approximately 41,000 educators working in pre-k through 12 public schools and community colleges.

For years, public school teachers in Oregon were required to pay union dues to the Oregon Education Association (OEA) as a condition of employment and the district automatically deducted union dues from teachers’ paychecks.

However, because of the U.S. Supreme Court’s recent decision in Janus v. AFSCME (2018), public school teachers can now demand that the OEA cease withholding union dues from their paychecks.

The court ruled that the mandatory dues requirement violated workers’ First Amendment rights to freedom of speech and association, and that public employees have the right to choose for themselves whether to pay any union dues or fees.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get the OEA to stop deducting dues from my paychecks?

Completing the form above will generate a letter you can send to the OEA to resign your formal union membership and cease paying dues.

Send a signed copy of your letter to:

Bob Sande, Assistant Executive Director
Oregon Education Association
6900 SW Atlanta Street
Portland, OR 97223

We highly recommend sending the letter via certified mail so you have proof of delivery. Keep a copy of the letter and your certified mail receipt for your reference.

How much are OEA dues?

Dues for full-time teachers are currently about $1,000 per year. This includes $622 in dues to OEA, $196 to the National Education Association, and an additional fee charged by the local teachers unions.

If I stop paying dues to the union, will I still receive the same wages and benefits specified in the OEA's contract with my district?

Yes. The OEA has arranged to be the “exclusive representative” of its bargaining units, meaning it is impossible for employees to get out of the terms of the contract, even if they cease paying dues.

Does opting out affect my pension?

No. Under state law, a union contract is binding on all employees in a bargaining unit, regardless of whether they are technically union “members.” Your compensation, benefits and conditions of employment are all set by the contract and will remain unchanged regardless of whether you are technically a union member and regardless of whether you choose to pay union dues.

Will the union stop helping me with workplace issues?

The union has been recognized by the state as the “exclusive representative” of all members of the bargaining unit, whether formal union members or not. In return for the monopoly on this particular service, unions have a corresponding legal duty to provide fair representation.

Will I lose access to the NEA’s liability insurance?

School districts are required by Oregon law to provide legal liability protection for their employees. ORS 30.285 states that public bodies (including school districts) “shall defend, save harmless and indemnify” any of their employees against legal claims “arising out of an alleged act or omission occurring in the performance of duty.” However, the NEA does carry a supplemental liability policy that you will lose access to as a nonmember.

Check with your district to learn more about your legal liability protection as an employee. If you feel additional protection is necessary, some teachers choose to replace the union’s supplemental policy with similar liability insurance from independent organizations like Northwest Professional Educators (NWPE) or Christian Educators Association International (CEAI).

How will my relationship with the union change if I resign my membership in the OEA and stop paying dues?

While the terms of the contract will still govern your employment, union officials commonly prohibit nonmembers from participating in internal union affairs, such as attending union meetings, voting for union officers or participating in contract ratification votes. You’ll also likely be ineligible for certain “members only” benefits, such as discounts on additional insurance or deals the union has arranged with businesses, if any. You may no longer receive the union newsletter or similar publications.

How does the OEA spend my dues money?

Oregon Education Association

OEA collected $22 million in dues and fees from its members in fiscal year 2022, according to reports the union must file with the IRS.

In 2022 alone:

  • $854,208 was spent on political campaign activities.
  • $516,372 was paid in legal expenses.
  • $908,411 was spent on travel expenses for union staff.
  • $120,589 was spent on conventions and meetings.

In 2022, OEA executive director James Foster’s compensation was $329,736.

OEA’s most recent IRS 990 forms are available here: 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016.

A portion of the dues paid by OEA members goes to support the National Education Association, headquartered in Washington, D.C.

National Education Association

According to its filings with the U.S. Dept. of Labor, NEA collected $375 million from its members in fiscal year 2022.

In that year alone:

  • $41.6 million was spent on divisive political candidates, causes and lobbying.
  • $120 million was paid or contributed to largely ideological organizations. This included $270,000 donated to the Democracy Alliance, a radical left organization founded by George Soros. NEA also gave $450,000 to the Strategic Victory Fund, a super PAC that has financially supported Planned Parenthood.
  • $11.2 million was spent on travel for union staff and hotel venues, including $1.4 million for a conference at the Caesars Forum Convention Center in Las Vegas.
  • $19.9 million was spent on legal and consulting services.
  • $311,492 was spent on food and catering.

NEA paid 694 officers and employees in 2022, 429 of whom were paid six figures. NEA president Rebecca Pringle received $449,537.

NEA’s most recent LM-2 reports are available here: 2022, 20212020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016.